Monday, February 13, 2012

And from the New York Times....

What a fabulous story in the New York Times today about using field trips and hands-on learning to build background knowledge.  The walking field trip that is highlighted is right down the street to a local parking garage because many of the students in this particular 2nd grade classroom have never been inside a car.

In light of my last post about the principal removing crayons and scissors for the K-1 classroom, consider this principal's response for her impoverished children:

"While many schools have removed stations for play from kindergarten, Ms. Levy has added them in first and second grades. One corner of Ms. Krings’s room is for building blocks, another for construction paper projects. There are days when the second grade smells like Elmer’s glue."


Imagine that?  Adding play to help negotiate the world and build language!  In the long run, I believe these are the interventions that will make a difference in the lives of students.  


I love this quote from the head of the school network in that part of the city:  


"Daniel Feigelson heads the network of 30 schools that P.S. 142 belongs to. He said that he wished more principals would adopt the program but that they were fearful. “There is so much pressure systematically to do well on the tests, and this may not boost scores right away,” he said. “To do this you’d have to be willing to take the long view.”


"The long view" is critical!  We cannot expect to make quick fixes in these students' lives.  We have to see every piece of the puzzle and start putting the missing pieces in place.  

I was sharing more about the banning of arts classes for struggling learners at lunch today and my colleagues were outraged.  As we talked,  I was reminded of a time many years ago when I sat in a workshop with a teacher of  SIXTH grade struggling readers.  This particular teacher worked with a college professor and doctoral student to find out where the developmental gaps were for these students.  They found the students had never experienced dramatic play.  Guess what they did?  They brought the kitchen and dramatic play into the sixth grade and they noticed a marked difference for students from behavior to academics.  

Yes, Ms. Levy and Mr. Feigelson, I do hope that more schools (and education departments and government officials) will start looking at the long view.  Maybe then we can make a real difference in the lives of some very special students.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I
am impressed! Very useful information particularly the last part
:) I care for such info much. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time.
Thank you and best of luck.

Also visit my blog - binary options forex

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.